Tier 4 Student Visa

To study in the UK, you may need a student visa. There are two main types of UK student visa you can apply for – the Tier 4 Student Visa, and the Student Visitor Visa. To find out which type applies to you and your situation, read the information below and then get in touch with the team at Astons for some expert help and advice.

Tier 4 Student Visa

A person can apply, either in the UK or from outside the UK, for a Tier 4 Student Visa either as a child student (from the age of 4 upwards) or as an adult student. The course must be a full-time course (of at least 15 hours per week). The Tier 4 student must be sponsored by their school, college or university, which must issue a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies for them before a successful study visa UK application can be made. In some cases it is possible for a Tier 4 Student to work, on a part-time basis.

Student Visitor Visa

A person who is over 18 can apply to come to the UK as a student visitor to study a short course. Student visitors are not permitted to work at all. The maximum period for which this type of UK student visa can be granted is six months, unless the course is an English language course, in which case it is 11 months.


We are a qualified and experienced immigration firm, regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). We offer assistance and specialist advice on specific immigration issues. We are not part of the Home Office. General immigration advice and forms can be found on the Home Office website www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

UK visa & immigration consultation