General Visa | Tier 1 (General)

Tier 1 general is now closed to new applicants. However, it is still relevant as it is possible for people who are already in the United Kingdom under this category to apply for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain) after having completed 5 years in this category or in combination with other categories.

Applicants applying for leave to remain under Tier 1 General are required to score at least a minimum amount of points depending on the date that they were first granted leave. Depending on the date, some applicants are required to score at least 75 points and some 80 points.

To apply, they need to score points based on their following personal circumstances or ‘Attributes’:

  • Age – an applicant might score points for their age (at the time they made their first Tier 1 General application);
  • Type of Degree – applicants will score a different number of points depending on whether they hold a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree or a PHD degree;
  • Previous earnings – applicants need to select a period of 12 months (from the last 15 months to the date of their application). Applicants will score different amounts of points depending on how much money they have earned during the 12 month period;
  • UK Experience – applicants will score points for ‘UK experience’ if they have earned at least £16,000 or £25,000 of their previous earnings in the UK (depending on the date they made their first Tier 1 General application).

An applicant who wishes to claim points for their attributes needs to submit specific documents which demonstrate and corroborate that the applicant does in fact score the points that they are claiming.

Applicants also need to pass the Life in the UK test and meet the English language requirement.

We regularly help our clients to apply for settlement under this category. We will inform you exactly how many points you are likely to score and exactly which documents you will need to submit to prove that you score the points that you are claiming. Finally, we will fill in the application form on your behalf, based on the information that you provide. All you will have to do is check it very carefully then sign and date it. If you believe that you are eligible to apply for settlement under the Tier 1 (general) category then please do not hesitate to get in touch to arrange an immigration consultation.

We offer assistance and specialist advice on specific immigration issues. General immigration advice and forms can be found on the Home Office website

UK visa & immigration consultation