Tier 2 (Minister of religion) Visa

Tier 2 (Minister of religion) Visa

The Tier 2 Minister of Religion visa is part of the Tier 2 Work Permit scheme. An applicant must be sponsored by a religious body (of any recognised religion) in the UK and the sponsored applicant may apply for a visa, either in the UK or from outside the UK, to work in the UK for the sponsor as a minister of religion, missionary or member of a religious order.

The kind of work that may be undertaken could be, for example: preaching, leading worship, religious teaching, officiating at religious ceremonies, welfare work for a religious community or translating religious texts.

The applicant will have to satisfy an English language test.

This visa is appropriate for an applicant who intends to come to the UK for the long term. An applicant who only intends to come to the UK for a short period should apply under the Tier 5 Temporary Religious Worker category.

As the immigration rules stand at the moment, a Tier 2 Minister of Religion may qualify for indefinite leave to remain after five continuous years.

We offer assistance and specialist advice on specific immigration issues. We are not part of the Home Office. General immigration advice and forms can be found on the Home Office website www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.

UK visa & immigration consultation